Resource Family Approval
The Resource Family Approval (RFA) Program was authorized through Senate Bill 1013 (Chapter 35, Statutes of 2012). The statute requires the California Department of Social Services (CDSS), in consultation with county child welfare agencies, foster parent associations, and other interested community parties, to implement a unified, family friendly, and child-centered resource family approval process to replace the existing multiple processes for licensing foster family homes, approving relatives and nonrelative extended family members as foster care providers, approving guardianships, and approving adoptive families.
Five counties that represent varying geographical locations have been selected to be early implementers of the RFA Program. The five counties include Kings, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Santa Clara.
In November of 2012 an RFA kick-off event occurred with the five early implementation counties and CWDA. The counties will begin implementation of the RFA program between October of 2013 and February of 2014 and continue for three full fiscal years.
CDSS anticipates statewide implementation of the RFA Program to begin as early as July of 2017.
Current Version RFA Written Directives, Version 1 (Revised 11/22/13)
Prior Version RFA Written Directives
Webinars and PowerPoints
Project Management Team Meeting Minutes
- February 6, 2014
- November 19, 2013
- August 19, 2013
- July 18, 2013
- March 7, 2013
- February 21, 2013
- February 7, 2013
Workgroup Meeting Minutes
The Project Management Team reviewed regulations and identified areas that will or will not apply to RFA statute and identified changes that may need to occur:
- Foster Family Home Regulations Articles 1, 2, and 5 Worksheet
- Foster Family Home Regulations Articles 3 and 4 Worksheet
- Adoption Regulations Worksheet
Forms (only to be utilized by early implementation counties)
- Form RFA-01(A): Resource Family Application
- Form RFA-01(B): Resource Family Criminal Records Statement
- Form RFA-02: Resource Family Criminal Background Checks
- Form RFA-03(A): Resource Family Home Environment Checklist
- Form RFA-03(B): Resource Family Home Environment Checklist Annual Update
- Form RFA-04: Resource Family Risk Assessment
- Form RFA-05: Resource Family Initial Approval
- Form RFA-06: Resource Family Annual Update
San Luis Obispo County
Please direct questions to RFA@dss.ca.gov